On the 4th of January, 2021, Southampton hosted league leaders Liverpool to a match.
Jurgen Klopp’s men have been on a dissapointing spree in the last few matches, as they have bagged draws in their last two matches. Southampton team have been impressive this season, maintaining a spot in the top half of the Premier league standings.
The match was a fight from start to finish as Southampton threatened strongly in the opening minutes of the game. In the second minute, Danny Ings scored a wonderful goal to put Saints in front. Ward-prowse played a confusing freekick and Ings finished beautifully, putting the ball in the back of the net. Both teams kept threatening each other, as they wanted more goals. In the 12th minute, Liverpool tried to score when Jordan Henderson fired a shot over the bar.
The Reds tried to equalise again in the 18th minute when Sadio Mane flicked the ball amazingly to Mohammed Salah, but, Salah couldn’t do anything with the ball.
In the closing minutes of the first half, it became about Liverpool as Salah’s header was directed wide, after a beautiful cross from Mane. When they returned for second half, Jurgen Klopp’s men were more determined to make the game levelled and probably win. They tried and they put a lot of pressure on the Saints.
Most of the second half was spent in Southampton’s side of the field, as Liverpool tried to shove the ball in from every angle. In the 69th minute, the Reds were desperate to level the game as Firmino tried to score, but, his shot went wide.
After ninety minutes of pressure, struggle, defence and frustration, the Saints were able to claim all three points at home with Ings 2nd minute goal. Liverpool has lost points as they are levelled with Manchester United on top of the table. Now, United have the chance to be leaders of the league, if they can win their next match.
Liverpool have not won in three of their last matches.
Meanwhile, Chelsea is also suffering the same fate, as they have lost most of their recent matches, the last being the 3-1 defeat to Manchester City. Chelsea are currently sitting eighth on the league standings.
- How Mikel Arteta can help Bukayo Saka dominate Premier League next season June 14, 2021
- Thomas Tuchel need to learn from Zidane – how to win back – to – champions league trophy June 14, 2021
- No Champions League, no Europa League- can Mikel Arteta Arsenal’s lift the FA Cup again and make Top- four? June 10, 2021
- LEAKED VIDEO: “Poor writting” behind the scene of Ogun State Governor Prince Dapo Abiodun speaches shows a Lack of Professionalism from his aides June 9, 2021
- 3 reason why Chelsea’s likely to break Arsenal invincible Premier League records next season June 9, 2021