Zidane’s men who had the same points as the league leaders, Atletico Madrid were hosted by Elche at the Estadio Matinez Valero stadium. It was the last game for both sides in 2020.
Real Madrid players were hoping to win by a sizeable scoreline so that they can start 2021, being the league leaders. But, it was a dissapointing night for Los Blancos, as Elche was able to frustrate all their efforts.
Real Madrid started the match strongly, creating chances and trying to get a goal from the beginning. Marcelo was denied a goal as his shot hit the woodwork.
The breakthrough finally came for Zidane’s men in the 20th minute, when Marco Asensio effort came off the post for Luka Modric to finish with a super fast diving header which found the back of the net.
The goal put the top team in front. Real Madrid kept trying to widen the score gap and they were awarded a penalty in the 36th minute which was cancelled by the top referee after consulting with the VAR.
When they returned for the second half, Elche became the better side, as they tried their best to get back in the game against the leaders. In the 53rd minute, their hardwork paid off. They were awarded a penalty after Daniel Carvajal brought down Antonio Barragan in the box. Fidel Chaves made no mistake in converting it to a beautiful goal, making the score 1-1.
Elche kept on pressing and had a shot at goal when Lucas Boye fired a shot that Scratched the post, away from Thibaut Courtois. Carvajal tried to restitute his mistake later in the second half, but, his shot was saved by the impressive Elche goalkeeper, Edgar Badia.
Sergio Ramos and other Madrid players also tried to score because they were desperate for a win at Estadio Martinez, but, Edgar Badia denied and frustrated all their efforts.
At the end of the match which ended 1-1, a good scoreline for Elche team who were in the bottom half, Badia was declared man of the match.
Real Madrid remain second on the league standings, two points behind league leaders, Atletico Madrid who won their last match of the year with a 1-0 scoreline.
Zidane’s men have to up their game if they want to be title contenders, as they are in competition with league leaders, Atletico and third place Real Sociedad.
- How Mikel Arteta can help Bukayo Saka dominate Premier League next season June 14, 2021
- Thomas Tuchel need to learn from Zidane – how to win back – to – champions league trophy June 14, 2021
- No Champions League, no Europa League- can Mikel Arteta Arsenal’s lift the FA Cup again and make Top- four? June 10, 2021
- LEAKED VIDEO: “Poor writting” behind the scene of Ogun State Governor Prince Dapo Abiodun speaches shows a Lack of Professionalism from his aides June 9, 2021
- 3 reason why Chelsea’s likely to break Arsenal invincible Premier League records next season June 9, 2021