Finally, The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, has finally suspended it long awaited strike.
The union made the announcement of the suspension of it’s 9-month old indefinite strike at a press conference held on Wednesday morning in Abuja.
According to ASUU President, Professor Biodun Ogunyemi, with other National Executive Committee of the union, he made the announcement, explaining that the suspension would take effect from today, Wednesday 23, 2020.
According to Ogunyemi,the decision to suspend the action follows the resolution made with the NEC at its meeting held earlier. Both parties reached a resolution that trigger the union to suspend the long strike that has sent students to sit at home for months.
The negative impact of strike action in the country has affected our educational system badly. For instance, the 9-month industrial action has put on hold all academic activities in the country. Also, those students who were to graduate this year would be greatly affected. They would have to wait again till next year to finalize their paper.
Apart from the strike, the recent pandemic has also contributed to the problem at hand. While the strike may be suspended, schools might not be allowed to resume soon.
According to the task force committee on Covid-19, all schools must observe all Covid-19 guidelines before reopening. So, universities need to put all this in place before they can open their gate for resumption.
The suspension of the long awaited strike – though a welcome development to students of higher institutions, there are still a lot of things to be done before academic activities can come into full force.
So while you await for the calender of your school it is advisable you start preparing as soon as possible. You may likely be greeted with exam in the first week of resumption – u never can tell. So resume prepared for anything that might happen.
- How Mikel Arteta can help Bukayo Saka dominate Premier League next season June 14, 2021
- Thomas Tuchel need to learn from Zidane – how to win back – to – champions league trophy June 14, 2021
- No Champions League, no Europa League- can Mikel Arteta Arsenal’s lift the FA Cup again and make Top- four? June 10, 2021
- LEAKED VIDEO: “Poor writting” behind the scene of Ogun State Governor Prince Dapo Abiodun speaches shows a Lack of Professionalism from his aides June 9, 2021
- 3 reason why Chelsea’s likely to break Arsenal invincible Premier League records next season June 9, 2021